Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 10:14:43 +0100

Dear community,

I'd like to collect some suggestion for a replacement font for Century Schoolbook.

I created a style sheet for a certain kind of score that I need regularely, namely classical voice-piano songs. When I reduced the staff size in a way that I get enough music on a page it always looked somewhat thin. For a current project I finally tackled this task by reducing the size and then adjusting several other values to make the overall impression nice and 'semibold' again. I am quite pleased with the result (as you can see in https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49478835/Seligkeit-sample.pdf. This hasn't been tweaked to publication quality (as I don't need it), actually apart from the general style sheet there isn't any single tweak).

I would like to share this style sheet, along with a tutorial. Not because I'd consider it brilliant but because I think that's among the stuff that can help users to explore the possibilities of LilyPond. It virtually took me years until I dared fiddling around with general changes in the visual appearance of Lily's output, and I would have had great benefit from such information earlier ...

However, this visual appearance relies quite heavily on the use of a non-free Adobe text font - LilyPond's built in default wouldn't work at all. I don't have problems _using_ it for my own work, but of course one can't base a tutorial on it. And maybe I'd be feeling even better if I found a free alternative for my own use. What proved especially valuable is the presence of a semibold condensed version of the font, which works very well for the lyrics, making their spacing tight enough while at the same time fitting well with the 'heavy' impression of the musical score.

So (to finally get to the point) I'd be happy about suggestions for good free text fonts to use with LilyPond. They should be well equipped in terms of language support and have a good array of weights and spacings.

Best wishes
Urs