Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:09:40 +0100

Am 2013-01-07 um 10:14 schrieb Urs Liska:

> I'd like to collect some suggestion for a replacement font for Century
> Schoolbook.
> So (to finally get to the point) I'd be happy about suggestions for good free
> text fonts to use with LilyPond.
> They should be well equipped in terms of language support and have a good
> array of weights and spacings.

Hi Urs,
I nearly always use TeX Gyre Schola for the lyrics in my lead sheets and
songbooklets - mostly the same as Century Schoolbook, because it’s very good
readable even under bad light conditions.
Other Open Source fonts I like very much are e.g. Gentium, Antykwa Toruńska and
TeX Gyre Pagella (Palatino), but I wouldn’t recommend them for lyrics.
The only Open Source fonts with several weights that I would recommend, is TeX
Latin Modern, even if it looks rather old fashioned; but I like the sans serif,
e.g. for chord names.

http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/
http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern
http://scripts.sil.org/Gentium