Re: \hideNotes and MIDI Note_performer

From: Johannes Rohrer
Subject: Re: \hideNotes and MIDI Note_performer
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 17:44:19 +0000 (UTC)

Adam Spiers <lilypond-user <at> adamspiers.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Johannes Rohrer <src <at> johannesrohrer.de>
wrote:
>> Adam Spiers <lilypond-user <at> adamspiers.org> writes:
>>
>>> I've noticed that MIDI generation doesn't honour transparent notes,
>>> e.g. in
>>>
>>>   f8( \hideNotes \grace {  c16 \glissando } \unHideNotes f8)
>>>
>>> a NoteOn event is generated for the c16.
>> For now, working around the problem with tags might be more productive?
>
> OK, but I'm not sure how tags could be used for this.  Are they
> available to Note_performer, or did you mean something else?

Something else; I was thinking of a simple .ly-level clutch, like
the following pattern, written out for your example from above:

---

mymusic = \relative f' {
  f8(
    \tag #'layoutonly {
      \hideNotes \grace { c16 \glissando } \unHideNotes
    }
    f8)
}

\score {
  \mymusic
  \layout { }
}

\score {
  \removeWithTag #'layoutonly \mymusic
  \midi { }
}

---

Not ideal, but gets the job done. You could still encapsulate
the \tag+\hideNotes/\unHideNotes-part into a music function. And
in real-life scores you often need a separate MIDI \score block
anyway, e.g. for repeat unfolding.

Best regards,

Johannes