Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 02:23:09 -0800

> > I'd like to collect some suggestion for a replacement font for
> > Century Schoolbook.

So far, Linux Libertine[1] has been my go-to replacement font,
especially when I want to be more economical with horizontal space.
It's not the most beautiful font in the world, but it does look good on
paper, has a sans-serif font that harmonizes well with it (Linux
Biolinum), supports Eastern European languages (which I sometimes
need), and has a sober, practical look that allows it to slip under the
radar of most people who think that Times is the only reasonable font
for any use at all.

> Besides a font with similar functionality as Minion, I would like to
> find a font which resembles the `classical' text font used about 100
> years ago in Germany for virtually all vocal scores (see attachment).
> Interestingly, I haven't seen a good replacement yet in *any*
> computer-typesetted score.

One I use when I want to use that 'classical' look is Old Standard[2].
Unfortunately, it doesn't have bold italic (which is rarely an issue,
but is sometimes annoying) and sometimes doesn't look good on screen,
but it is a pretty good replica of that old modern typeface and looks
fine on paper.

I keep hoping that some of the nice serifed fonts put out by the League
of Moveable Type,[3] such as their reproductions of some Goudy fonts,
will expand to include bold faces.

Another source of open fonts that may be of sufficient quality for use
in scores is Arkandis Digital Foundry[4].

1. http://www.linuxlibertine.org/

2. http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/oldstandard.html

3. http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/

4. http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/adffonts.html