Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Antonio Gervasoni
Subject: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 11:02:49 -0800 (PST)

About a year ago, when I discovered Lilypond, I decided that the best way to
learn it was to typeset an old composition and compare the result to the
first score. I then decided that the work should be an orchestral work I
composed back in 2003, mainly because it is a very complicated score - a bit
"Stravinskian", with constant time signature changes, complex rhythms, etc.
- and if Lilypond could handle that then it could certainly convince me as
an alternative to other software.

I never imagined it would be so hard; part of it, obviously, because I was a
newbie and part of it because the work is indeed a very complex one (maybe I
should have started with an easier piece!). However, it has been also hard
because I have been unsuccesful at finding any website or blog thoroughly
describing the basics of creating an orchestral score.

There is an orchestral template in the Learning Manual and ideas scattered
all over the net but nothing in the form of a "Guide to Writing Orchestral
Scores with Lilypond". So, I had to figure out the way to do it, trying one
solution, then another, going back and forth until I came up to a solution
that worked for me.

Now, I'm almost done and I'm thinking about publishing a complete
description of how I did it. Not that I think that my process for creating
such a score is the right one or even the best one! I just want to share it
with other users that might find it useful and also receive feedback from
other more experienced users in the form of advice on how to improve and
simplify it.

The problem is that I don't know how to do this! If I write a short guide
of, say 20-30 pages, in pdf format, where should I post/upload it? The .ly
files and pdf output could be uploaded to the Mutopia Project. I could also
upload the score and parts to IMSLP. But what about the guide? Where should
that go? Any ideas?

I could use my own website, or create a blog and put it there, but my
concern is about making it immediately "visible" to most Lilypond users, so
that it can attract the attention of those of them who write orchestral
music and generate discussion and a flow of ideas right away.

Regards,

Antonio