Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:55:17 +0100

Am 09.01.2013 09:13, schrieb Jan-Peter Voigt:
Hello Urs, Antonio and list,

this is a great tutorial Urs.
Thanks!
I will recommend it to people whom I gave introductions and who want to step further. I recently introduced one guy, with plain lilypond (no scheme, no tricks) to produce some SATB-sheets. As we can see in this thread, there are a lot of people, who use lilypond to create publication ready sheet-music. I also made up my own library/framework to have a template mechanism and to have separation of concerns. Recently I created an engraver, to input overrides outside my music input. So if I have a printout and I see in measure 42 on the third 8th the slur should be shaped a little bit - but only for this special printout with its special paper settings - I can say \myEditionCommand editionTag 42 3/8 #'(path to engraver) { \shape Slur #'(...) } This way I can reuse my music variables without the need of tagged overrides, wich can be very long.
Sounds like this (and probably many of your developments in general) could very well enhance an open Lilypond library.
My framework should be open, but it is not documented and it is not always consistent in naming and not all of my scheme-hacks are hidden behind a nice lilypond-command ...
In such a case I would suggest the same approach that I intend for my own library: Move the stuff to a new place (e.g. openLilyLib) one item at a time and use the opportunity to review it, discuss it, think about a proper name, polish the implementation - and especially: document it. I think such a 'relocation' could make it significantly easier to discipline oneself to document any single item than if you just have a bunch of functionality that has grown over years and think "I really should clean this up" ...
I really would like to discuss this stuff with other ponders - but this list should'nt be spoiled with such discussions and scare new users with intimate scheme-expressions ... If we would find a place to meet, we could prepare either documentation material for lilypond.org or for another lilypond related site. This might be <address@hidden>? But I also don't want to distract important development work in the basement!
If it really comes to a collaborative project I suggest setting up a dedicated mailing list. Github doesn't provide mailing lists, so we should have another one elsewhere.
Any suggestions anyone?

Best
Urs

Cheers, Jan-Peter