Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Eben Sorkin
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 12:26:31 -0500

One of the things to be clear about for yourself and the designer you work with
is what the medium you want it to work in will be.

For example is this mainly a font for printing on paper? Is it for the web too?
Do you want it to work well in fine printing? Do you only care about laser
printing? Maybe you want web and fine print. If this is the case you probably
want to look at having two related fonts made. Oddly enough if you have two
designs they can be made to appear far more similar than if you have only one.

What glyphs do you really need? If the glyph set is smaller then the designer
can remain more focused. It may not be obvious what glyphs will be most
helpful. Do you want the font to be relate well to an existing font for setting
music?

It would also be important to give the designer examples of how you want to be
able to use the type so that they can test it in those contexts and be sure it
works well for you.

I would suggest raising the figure Dave mentions to $9,000 for one style so
that the designer can afford to test the design extensively and can refine the
design. If you do that you will be able to have something of enduring value
made for you.

-e.