Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 19:42:56 +0100 (CET)

>> Vern, can you give a rough estimate about the financial frame?
>
> Yes i would generally echo what Dave and Eben have said said on
> costs; and note these would be minimum costs;
>
>> The price depends on the details of the project; mainly the number
>> of family styles, the character set, and the delivery schedule.
>> Designing a single style latin-1 font in 2 weeks is relatively
>> expensive ($3,000 minimum) versus a 10 style family with latin
>> 1-2-3-4 in 2 months ($10,000 min)
>
> But it is perhaps more likely that a typeface family like we are
> discussing here would be developed from a pre-existing Libre font.
> That would most likely bring down the labour costs, or allow a
> larger budget to be even better mobilised.

A font which comes near to the old shape as shown in the JPG image
I've sent previously is this one:

  http://www.proportionallime.com/vinestreet.shtml

For various reasons it doesn't really fit (it's too wide, and
ascenders and descenders are too large), but you get the idea.  So
does anyone have another suggestion?

> To some who manage Free Software projects these sums can seem steep,
> but i strongly suggest they are great investments because they are
> spent on adding unparalleled value to the software.  Libre fonts can
> be superb investments for free Software.  The more projects like
> this that are funded, more and better Free Software can be
> developed.

So let's hope that this e-mail exchange does initialize something :-)

    Werner