Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 22:05:41 +0100

Am 09.01.2013 22:00, schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

I'm a pianist, and I know Chopin very well and like him a lot, but I
have *never* heard or played a song written by him.
I have two complete recordings of Chopin's songs, one of them published by the Deutsche Grammophon. So they are existent.
Regarding operas
of Moniuszko, let's have a look at the statistics from
http://www.operabase.com, for example the rank of the most performed
composers and the associated language of the last five years:

   #1  Verdi        Italian          (3020 szenical runs)
   #2  Mozart       German/Italian   (2410)
   #8  Bizet        French           (654)
   #9  Handel       English/Italian  (598)
   #10 Tchaikovsky  Russian          (432)
   #15 Lehár        Hungarian/German (281)
   #18 Janáček      Czech            (209)
   #59 Moniuszko    Polish           (32)
   #87 Chapí        Spanish (?)      (21)
   #96 Saariaho     Finnish (?)      (18)

It seems as if you thought that polish people don't write their own
music...
Sorry to say, but this is utter nonsense.  It's a matter of fact that
from an international point of view Poland is not relevant to opera,
as Austria is not relevant to musical, for example.  It doesn't
diminish the value of Polish music!
Maybe true. But it doesn't change the fact that it should be possible to typeset scores in practically any language, if LilyPond wants to be 'for everyone'.

Urs