Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:09:33 +0100

Am 09.01.2013 14:09, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
On 01/08/2013 09:35 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
During the development of a musical edition some others and me created the base
for a kind of LilyPond toolkit library.

This sounds like it would be a very useful tool for lots of people, and I'd be happy to try and contribute.
Good. I'll come back to it ;-)

Question -- is the long-term plan to keep it as a standalone project, or to eventually have a set of tools that are sufficiently well defined and developed as to be incorporated into Lilypond itself? I can see advantages either way.
Not really discussed yet.
I'd consider it most practical to think of it as a standalone project, with the option of incorporating individual items/solutions/functions to LilyPond whenever it seems appropriate.

By the way, one remark on your excellent tutorial using the Schoenberg example. I don't know if UE will give you the rights to do this, but it would be very useful to have a copy of the original engraving of the bars in question for comparison purposes.
It was already discussed on this list: It was a silly idea to use copyrighted material at all for this tutorial. It was just something I was working on at that time, and I didn't really think about it ... But I just reviewed my communication with UE and noticed that I (and them) only talked about the 'measures' of the music, not about which rendering of them (i.e. a scan of the UE edition or my new typesetting). They allowed me 'to show these music examples on my homepage' - any other use wasn't allowed.
Which I think means that I can also put the original edition into it.

But I probably won't touch it until I reformat it as a PDF version. There had been some valuable comments on this list right after the first 'release' of the tutorial - which still haven't been incorporated :-(

Best
Urs

Best wishes,

    -- Joe