Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Aleksandr Andreev
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 20:42:03 -0600

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Eben Sorkin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Polish is like Czech a bit tricky because it has shapes that needs special
> treatment and thought. The most obvious are the slashes and ogoneks (Ł ł ą Ą
> etc. ). The use of w and other diagonals is different and requires extra care
> as well.
>
> Including Polish should not be a problem. It should just be an explicit part
> of the brief if you do commission a font.

At least on Ubuntu, LilyPond supports OpenType glyph substitution and
glyph positioning -- something I use quite heavily since I typeset
scores in Church Slavonic -- at least the ccmp, rlig, kern, mark, and
mkmk features work without any problems (though there seems to be no
way to access stylistic alternatives). If you can figure out how to
pass language identifiers to the font renderer, you could even take
advantage of language-based GSUB and GPOS rules, which are, at least
theoretically, part of the OpenType technology.