Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:43:42 +0100

Am 10.01.2013 09:03, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
(i cannot resist my lilypond addiction...)

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
But I probably won't touch [online tutorial] until I reformat it as a PDF version. There
had been some valuable comments on this list right after the first 'release'
of the tutorial - which still haven't been incorporated :-(
That's why git and github rock - someone could write the changes and
you'd just have to accept the pull request.
I strongly recommend using text input for such project (which is
really great BTW!), because text input make version control effective.
I understand that LaTeX might be scary for beginners.  Maybe simply
use formatted plain text? (something like markdown, for example).
If nobody comes up with a better suggestion or serious objections - or if nobody else just offers to maintain the project and wants to do it differently - I will do the following:
  • Host openLilyLib in the existing Github repository
    (I didn't intend to start with this already, so it will be kind of a stub for some time)
  • Maintain the library's documentation and the tutorials (starting with Antonio's proposed text on orchestral scores and hopefully with a conversion of my existing tutorial) as a set of LaTeX documents.
  • I think there is no real alternative to this because
    • LaTeX documents can be easily versioned with Git
    • We are talking about LilyPond, so we wouldn't want to expose anything less (e.g. a collection of inconsistently looking PDFs created from various applications)
  • These documents can then be rendered as individual files or as a compiled 'book'.
  • Contributors are encouraged to provide LaTeX sources too, but
    • markdown or even plain text files would work too
    • if we are talking about the contribution of complete tutorials, it is also appropriate to aid in converting from, say, reasonably structured OpenOffice or Word documents
    • As a last resort we can even incorporate PDF documents (e.g. in case someone stumbles over an existing PDF where the sources have been lost ...)
  • We have to decide upon platforms for a 'public frontend' to the project, a mailing list and optionally an issue tracker (although Github offers one)
    Current suggestions point to use Google services for these parts.

Best
Urs

best,
Janek