Ties and multiple voices

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Ties and multiple voices
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:47:14 +0100

Hi.

I recently noticed that LilyPond apparently can not deal with situations
like this:

  <<{c1}\\{c'1~}>> | <<{c}\\{c'}>>

Is there any hidden trick I could use to make constructs like this work?

I am aware that I could try to move the barchecks into the voices.
However, this involves quite tricky structural manipulations of my code,
since the music I am converting to LilyPond is inherently structured
like that: A measure consists of possibly several voices, but there is no
mechanism to have a voice span across several measures.

So my input does not specify how voices are connected across barlines.
I could try to guess that information, but it is rather tricky.
And it will not work in all cases anyways.
For instance, a measure could be "\repeat unfold" like this:

  \repeat unfold 2 { <<{...}>>\\<<{...c~}>> } | c

>From what I understand, LilyPond would fail to find the last tie, please
correct me if I am wrong.

Is there any trick that would make LilyPond search for adjacent notes
with same pitch, and just resolve the tie correctly?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕