Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:56:51 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 10.01.2013 22:37, schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Do you think that's a realistic option?
>>> Would lilypond documentation be 'open' enough to incorporate material
>>> that might not be too tailored to the given structure or style?
>> Various parts of LilyPond's documentation have different styles.  I see
>> no problem whatsoever with providing a "user reports" manual where each
>> chapter has the personal style of its author.
>>
>> The long-term problem is maintenance: preserving consistency of style
>> while the content wants to be changed along with changes of LilyPond
>> itself.  Of course it will help when the original author continues to
>> feel responsible for keeping his report matched to current LilyPond
>> versions.
>>
> So what would be needed from our part (just started to skim through
> the Texinfo manual)?
> If we would write the sources for our tutorials as Texinfo documents
> we could then suggest to add any of them to Lily docs (if we find it
> appropriate)? Or would they have to adhere to some more (technical)
> restrictions?

I think it would make sense to open a separate document for them.
Collaborators would then work on a branch where this document exists
(similar to the translation branch we have) and would edit their
personal chapters in separate files.  That would cause minimal merge
conflicts.

That's a setup for continuous work.  Depending on people's personal
choices, getting the _text_ off the ground might work faster using LaTeX
or whatever to bring the document into the shape one considers good
using LilyPond-book, and then afterwards convert en bloc to Texinfo.

However, I found it sometimes problematic to map the chapter structure
of a typical LaTeX document to the node structure of Texinfo.  It's
partly a question of the optimal size of chunks of information.

--
David Kastrup