Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Antonio Gervasoni
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:09:34 -0800 (PST)

Hey guys!

Sorry for not participating in the discussion about the copyrighted material
in Urs tutorial. I'm finishing the music for a film and I have little time
to read posts and make comments. ;-)

I agree with Joseph's idea:

> Well, here's what _I_ would do in your shoes: license freely all the parts
> of
> the tutorial that are your copyright, and add a clear exception notice for
> musical examples that are still in copyright.

However, I'm not a lawyer so I'm sure if this would work.

All these problems with copyrights are always a real hassle. Copyrights are
good, I mean, the idea itself is good. The problem is that the law has taken
the matter to amazing extremes. Is there any sense in a legislation that
allows someone to be accused of piracy and then sued for billions of
dollars, while a doctor who amputates the wrong leg of a patient is liable
for no more than 250,000? Does this make any sense? Are copyrights more
valuable than someone's leg?

Also, according to recent studies, almost a third of the american population
have at least once downloaded a song illegally. This means that, according
to the law, more than 300 million americans are effectively criminals.
Again, copyrights are good (I'm an author so I am of course pro-copyrights),
but the law has been twisted in a way it should have never been.

I'd recommend everyone to read the book Free-Culture, by Lawrence Lessig,
Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. It can be downloaded freely from
here: http://www.free-culture.cc/ Another very good book (which I haven't
finished yet) is: The Public Domain, Enclosing the Commons of the Mind, by
James Boyle (also free!). If you are an author, then you should read these
books! I have, and they have been a revelation to me!

I'm not a US citizen. I don't even live in the US! But we now live in a
global market, and what a country does - especially the United States -
affects other countries as well, so I have a concern for what happens there,
and I'm afraid it might begin to happen where I live too (though I don't
really think it's possible due to the differences between our legal
systems....... but who knows!)

I apologize for making an off-thread comment  but, after reading so many
posts about copyrights, I felt the need to say something that would be
useful to generate some awareness about the problem that has been created
around copyrights by greedy companies and corporations. I don't want this
thread to become a discussion about copyrights. I hope it doesn't! I won't
say another word about it here, I promise!

Now, about the tutorial for creating orchestral scores with Lilypond, I just
want to tell everyone that I have started working on it. I still have to
finish the music for the film first, then I have to finish the score
(Icarus) and then I also have to prepare my classes for the next semester (I
teach at a local university). So I'd say it's gonna take me at least a
couple of months to finish the document (possibly three!). I'm writing it in
LaTeX, as Urs suggested, and will send it to him so that it can be included
in his project.

Regards,

Antonio