Re: accidental too far away from notehead

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: accidental too far away from notehead
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 10:44:38 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:23 AM
Subject: accidental too far away from notehead

Please consider this code:

 \version "2.17.10"

 \relative c''' {
   << { <gis cis eis gis>2 } \\
      { eis,2              } >>
 }

Attached you can find an image.  I think this is a formatting bug of
lilypond: The e sharp in the second voice should be directly placed in
front of the notehead since it is not part of the chord.  However, I'm
not sure, thus I'm writing to this mailing list :-)

Is there a possibility to make lilypond automatically move the
accidental in the lower voice to the right so that it is not aligned
with the accidentals of the upper voice?

   Werner

That's definitely a bug in accidental placement. The general rule is that the accidental should be as close to the note it affects as it can be, allowing for other accidentals that move it away. In the case of the eis, that rule is broken.

--
Phil Holmes