Re: accidental too far away from notehead

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: accidental too far away from notehead
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:15:58 +0100

On 13 janv. 2013, at 12:37, address@hidden wrote:

> On 13 janv. 2013, at 12:12, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Please consider this code:
>>>
>>> \version "2.17.10"
>>>
>>> \relative c''' {
>>>  << { <gis cis eis gis>2 } \\
>>>     { eis,2              } >>
>>> }
>>>
>>> Attached you can find an image.  I think this is a formatting bug of
>>> lilypond: The e sharp in the second voice should be directly placed in
>>> front of the notehead since it is not part of the chord.  However, I'm
>>> not sure, thus I'm writing to this mailing list :-)
>>>
>>> Is there a possibility to make lilypond automatically move the
>>> accidental in the lower voice to the right so that it is not aligned
>>> with the accidentals of the upper voice?
>>
>> \version "2.17.10"
>>
>> \relative c''' {
>> << { <gis cis eis gis>2 } \\
>>   { eis,2              } >>
>> }
>>
>> \layout {
>> \context {
>>  \Staff
>>  \remove "Accidental_engraver"
>> }
>> \context {
>>  \Voice
>>  \consists "Accidental_engraver"
>> }
>> }
>>
>> But obviously the accidental engraver should subdivide its input into
>> vertically separate clusters and typeset each of them independently.
>
> On it, testing fix.
>
> Cheers,
> MS

So, the logic in Accidental_placement::add_accidental makes it such that all
accidentals applying to the same base note have the same X-offset.  Here,
because there is an E-sharp in both octaves, the E-sharps line up.  Change
E-sharp to an F-sharp or D-sharp in the lower voice and the problem goes away.

It seems like whoever wrote the function went through a lot of effort to make
this the case, so it is definitely a feature, not a bug.  Whether or not it
corresponds to best engraving practices I don't know, but it may be worth it to
check various engraving texts to see if the same pitch altered in two different
octaves can have accidentals at two different horizontal locations.

Cheers,
MS