Re: Fingering output change 2.17.9 -> 2.17.10

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Fingering output change 2.17.9 -> 2.17.10
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:05:39 +1100

On 14/01/13 17:31, Keith OHara wrote:
Nick Payne <nick.payne <at> internode.on.net> writes:

To indicate guide fingering I've been using the code below. In 2.17.10,
the fingering with guide is placed above the stem even though
Fingering.add-stem-support = ##f. In 2.17.9 and earlier it was placed at
the same height as normal fingering.
Mike changed the fingering placement  so that they go as close as they fit,
for issue <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2764>

It looks like your custom fingering stencil has a faked (shifted) extent
so that it lines up as you wish.  The fingering will fit, but its faked
extent interferes with the stem.  If I narrow the faked extent a bit, the
fingering slides down along the stem.

With multiple voices on a single staff that change causes another problem. Build the example below on 2.16 and the fingering indications are adjacent but don't overlap. Build it on 2.17 and the spreading of the fingering in the top voice causes the fingering for the E and G to overlap. It would be nice to be able to disable this spreading when it's not needed - in this situation it's not, and causes a problem that didn't exist before:

\relative c'{
  <<
    {
      \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)