Re: Hiding a voice (or is there a better way?)

From: james
Subject: Re: Hiding a voice (or is there a better way?)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:12:28 +0100

On Jan 14, 2013, at 2:22 AM, Tim Rowe wrote:

> I'm trying to notate a song with piano accompaniment, but I don't want
> a separate voice line printed -- the singer will be able to work it
> out from the piano part, and space is at a premium. I do need to align
> the lyrics to the voice line, though. Would a reasonable way around
> that be to create a voice for the vocal line and prevent it being
> printed? How would I do that? And is there a better way? I'd prefer
> not to have to fall back to manual syllable durations, but I suppose
> that would be possible if I have to.
>
> Thanks,

You could theoretically use \hideNotes and simply enclose both the right hand
piano and the voice line in a << >> construct, but lilypond will complain of
collision errors (which are not visible). This is assuming that the piano plays
on some beats that the singer doesn't sing. If, in fact, the singer singer
every single beat that the piano plays, you could just assign a name to the
right hand piano voice and align the lyrics to that.