Re: multi-instrument parts

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: multi-instrument parts
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:21:16 -0800

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:41:00 -0800, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

Boo. I really wish Lily would Do The Right Thing™ with regard to transposing
parts. I want [...]
 perhaps I'll put together an official feature request…

Almost certainly, \instrumentSwitch was written in response to a similar
request.
The basic Lilypond structures can do quite a lot by themselves, see below.

It would help immensely if I could at least say
   \tag #'part { \transpose c d }
   c4 d e f
and then use the tag filter to leave the transposition out of the C-score

In LilyPond \transpose c d {...}  is an action, acting immediately on the music
in {...}
LilyPond does not store the name of the action separately from the music it is
acting upon, so it does not provide a way to remove the action and leave the
music.

But you can store the music in a variable, and perform the action of
transposing only where you need it.

music = \relative c' {
  \transposition c
  \key bes \major
  bes4 c d es }

clar = \music
flute = \music  % A bit silly, but everything is clear if they play in unison

\new Staff { \flute } % Flute part
\new Staff { \transpose bes c' { \clar } } % Clarinet part, transpose for
printing

\score {  % Score in Concert Pitch
<< \new Staff \flute
   \new Staff \clar >> }

You might see that people often define their variables to store the music in
pitches as-written for the different instruments.  The manuals encourage
storing music in concert pitch, though, which is probably less confusing, at
least until you have used LilyPond for a while.