Re: multi-instrument parts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: multi-instrument parts
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 00:43:04 -0500

Hi Keith,

> Almost certainly, \instrumentSwitch was written in response to a similar
> request.

If I remember correctly, Han-Wen wrote it and I paid him a bounty for it…  =)

> you can store the music in a variable, and perform the action of transposing
> only where you need it.

Yes, of course, that's what I've been doing — but I consider it hacky, so I was
hoping someone had a more elegant solution.

> You might see that people often define their variables to store the music in
> pitches as-written for the different instruments.  The manuals encourage
> storing music in concert pitch, though, which is probably less confusing, at
> least until you have used LilyPond for a while.

I've been using it for 10 years now.

This piece ("Robin Hood: The Legendary Musical Comedy") is simply taxing
Lilypond's abilities more than other works I've engraved in the past: 2.5 hours
of music theatre for 8 instruments (including 2 multi-instrumentalists), 9
vocal soloists, and a chorus of up to three independent two-part lines.

Thanks!
Kieren.