Re: Point

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Point
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:27:31 +0100

Am 17.01.2013 22:41, schrieb David Kastrup:
>> it may be a bit pedantic, but what is the definition of a point on this
>> page?
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size.html
>>
>> … DTP point …?
>
> More likely a TeX pt, namely 2540:7227 mm

Ok, that makes sense.

>> Is the pt or the mm value the more exact one?
>
> I don't understand the question.

I meant, there is probably a source that says that e.g. standard parts
should be written with a staff height of 20 pt (and 7 mm is just a
rounded conversion) or it says that they should have a staff height of 7
mm (and 20 pt is the rounded conversion). So for further conversions
(e.g. to inch) I could use the original one, in order not to accumulate
the rounding errors. (I know that those numbers are not intended to be
precise to the 10th digit.)

Joram