Re: \bar "||" and \repeat around a line break

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: \bar "||" and \repeat around a line break
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:00:55 +0100

Am 18.01.2013 06:03, schrieb Jim Long:
[...]
There is no confusion at all.  The source file tells Lilypond
exactly where the double bars should be.  Lilypond knows that at
several places, the source code says:

\bar "||" \break

As I understood Johan's suggestion, Lilypond should interpret
that to mean, 'put a double barline at this point in the layout,
break the line and continue engraving sequential music (if any)
on the next line.'  I think he wants that behaviour regardless of
what music comes next, or indeed whether any music comes next at
all.  Just Do It.  Spit out the double-bar line, break the line,
and continue.  I can't say whether that's programmaticly feasible
in Lilypond's internals, but I think the *intent* of the syntax
is pretty clear.
I fully understood Johan's suggestion.
In my answer to Harm's mail in this thread I pointed out that this is
probably doable but means that one has to get rid of the
more or less hardcoded behavior defined in lily/repeat-acknowledge-angraver.cc
to provide a better interface for that. I have no clue about this, though,
and no time to dig in further (at least at the moment, it is).

Perhaps this should be added to the tracker?

Regards,

Marc

I just wanted to increment the tally on Johan's feature request.