Re: context and lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: context and lilypond
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:17:52 +0100

Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 2013-01-20 um 11:37 schrieb David Kastrup:
>
>> What are the performance characteristics?  One point of LilyPond-book is
>> that it compiles a large number of fragments with a single run of
>> LilyPond.  That makes, for example, compilation times of our manuals
>> less unbearable.
>
> LilyPond gets called for every single snippet (but only once, as long
> as it doesn’t change or move),

Move?

> so it’s probably not suitable for a manual. But it’s good enough for
> my songbooks.

What would be involved to make it collect jobs?  Doing more than one job
on a single call is not a prerequisite of LilyPond.  Now LilyPond-book
also sifts out duplicates which is nice when compiling a dozen
translations.  Demanding that from Context would likely be excessive
(though I think that the underlying engines can do checksums).  But
combining several files on a single command line?  That does not sound
too unreasonable.

--
David Kastrup