Re: Requesting an addition

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Requesting an addition
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:36:28 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> If an existing symbol can be reused, implementing this is rather
>>> straightforward, and a few hours of work will do.  A design from
>>> scratch probably needs three or four times as long.
>>
>> By the way: how is the relation to other music fonts?  If we invent
>> a new articulation, music fonts from other sources will not know
>> about it, or we won't know about what they have.
>
> I've seen this symbol already in print, so it is not something we
> `invent'.  I was rather talking about designing it from scratch.
>
> For example, it might be possible to simply reuse the
> `scripts.reverseturn' glyph with an added vertical bar crossing it.
> However, IIRC, Haydn just uses a small wiggle, so `reverseturn' might
> be not appropriate, and we need probably a different shape.

Haydn's autograph was, I think, pretty much indistinguishable from
something like downprall or similar.

But that's sort of a red herring.  If the execution is deemed by the
publisher (according to musical cues) to be the kind of "Haydn turn", a
particular glyph tends to be used for that in print.

Just which glyph was used differed over the centuries.

--
David Kastrup