Re: context and lilypond

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: context and lilypond
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:05:43 +0100

Hi Stefan,

Sorry for my slow reply.....

On 21 Jan 2013, at 14:40 , Stefan Thomas wrote:

Dear Wim,
what do You mean by "use the md5"?
Is it a directory, a command?
I have no idea!
Sorry, I'm not an tex-expert, altough I work frequently with latex.

MD5 is an abbreviation of Message Digest Algorithm nr. 5. It calculates an (almost) unique "hash" of the digital object you feed it. It has nothing to do with (La)TeX, ConTeXt or Lilypond sec.

Although MD5 is not perfect (in the cryptographic sense of perfection) it is good enough to see if a file is changed or not because when changed it produces a different hash-value (i.e. a 128 bit number). I noticed that the ConTeXt filter already calculated and used that behind the screen and my suggestion was to use it. In another reply that idea was found not feasible so I discarded that.

If you (or anyone else) want more information on this please reply private because i.m.h.o. this is outside the scope of the LilyPond mailinglist.

Regards,
Wim.