Re: roman numeral chord notation

From: Eric Swenson
Subject: Re: roman numeral chord notation
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:01:23 -0800

Thanks David.

This appears to work fine when adding markup to a staff (as in annotating below the staff).  However, I'm trying to reference chords using this notation in text, in a music theory discussion regarding chord resolution.  Since this isn't within lilypond markup, I don't think I can use this.

I tried the obvious in my .lytex file:

\lilypondfile[quote,noindent]{rN.ly}

\begin[fragment,quote,staffsize=26,verbatim]{lilypond}
  \rN { V 4/3 }
\end{lilypond}

As well as preceeding the \rN with \markup, and both result in errors such as:

lilypond-book --output=out --pdf bar.lytex
lilypond-book (GNU LilyPond) 2.16.2
Reading bar.lytex...
Running `pdflatex' on file `/var/folders/4m/_ndvz2k14wj63vptwlb4fs740000gn/T/tmpg_VEGR.tex' to detect default page settings.

Dissecting...
Writing snippets...
Processing...
Running lilypond...
GNU LilyPond 2.16.2
Processing `snippet-map--2975239498719330227.ly'
Parsing...
Processing `bar.lytex'
Parsing...
bar.lytex:29:2: error: unknown escaped string: `\rN'

  \rN { V 4/3 }
bar.lytex:29:2: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING

  \rN { V 4/3 }
bar.lytex:21:0: error: errors found, ignoring music _expression_

{
fatal error: failed files: "ee/lily-62b9e5aa.ly"

Any suggestions?  Or should I just try to figure out the superscript-subscript tex macros to make this work?  Thanks.

-- Eric