Re: odd error

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: odd error
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:42:20 +0100

Shane Brandes <address@hidden> writes:

> failed (0): gs: failed to fork (Cannot allocate memory) Did I break
> something or is it wanting a more robust machine? I was trying to run
> a file that runs to about a hundred pages using 2.17.9 over Ubuntu
> 12.10. Anyway that particular error does not seem obvious to me.

It means that starting Ghostscript (or for Ghostscript itself, starting
some other program) has failed because the currently existing programs
already ate all of the available virtual memory.

You can check that this is not due to user limits by calling
ulimit -a
on the command line.  If the possible limits don't look unreasonably
small, you might want to observe memory usage during the LilyPond run.

At any rate, this would likely occur when LilyPond is calling
Ghostscript for conversion of PS to PDF, so it would not be working
actively on the (presumably excessive) amounts of memory it has
allocated.  Increasing the swap space on your machine might solve the
problem.

If you find that LilyPond is using an amount of memory that does not
really make sense in the context of your score, this might point to a
bug (memory leak?).  Finding useful examples for debugging memory leaks
is not simple.

--
David Kastrup