Re: Expanding bowed arpeggios

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Expanding bowed arpeggios
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:03:47 +0100

Olivier Biot <address@hidden> writes:

> Many thanks for your help David!
>
> Having used it I realize that it works perfectly for my purpose, but
> maybe others may want to add e.g. fingerings, cautionary accidentals,
> articulations and dynamics to the arpeggiated output. That of course
> won't work with the current code for "arpeggiate" since I only look at
> the notes.
>
> Imagine the following naive (not functional) snippet:
>
> \arpeggiate 16 c-< g'-1 b'!-3 f'-4-\!
>
> Ideally it would render the fingering either to the far left of the
> arpeggio, or e.g. above each single note of the arpeggiated chord in
> the first half (avoiding fingering repetitions).
>
> How could that be addressed?

That involves, apart from the \relative aspect, deconstructing the above
expression and synthesizing a new one from it.  There are no convincing
user-level tools for deconstruction of a music expression short of
picking everything apart in Scheme via ly:music-property and its ilk.

There is some half-Scheme approach called with-music-match in the
display-lily code.  Turning this into a proper and usefully powerful
method working with LilyPond syntax templates, possibly combining it
with the pattern-matching module available for GUILE would be an
interesting task.

But without a well-accessible more general transformation tool, I don't
really see a real user-accessible solution that would not start from
single pitches, thus not needing to deconstruct anything.

--
David Kastrup