Re: Woodwind Fingering diagrams problem

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Woodwind Fingering diagrams problem
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:27:08 +0100

On 01/28/2013 01:54 PM, Wim van Dommelen wrote:
Agreed, but for a series showing e.g. a scale it would be nice to have similar
diagrams, so I would like to control the behaviour myself.

Personally I prefer to see all the keys when it's a visual diagram.

That said, I think my preference _in general) also inclines towards the notation where keys are indicated primarily by name (C#, E, F#, ...) rather than by key layout, simply because the latter can (and does) vary -- precisely the issue you identify with bass clarinet. Using key names rather than key diagrams helps to avoid the worst of that, but as things stand I find the key-name diagrams in Lilypond somewhat problematic.

I really should get round to writing up my thoughts on these diagrams systematically -- I doubt most of the issues are that difficult to fix.