Hints for music notation (was Re: Accidental placement)

From: Noeck
Subject: Hints for music notation (was Re: Accidental placement)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:25:37 +0100

Am 13.01.2013 19:50, schrieb Xavier Noria:
> On 13 Jan 2013, at 18:32, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> * On this website: http://pian-e-forte.de/texte/index.htm
>>
>> The article describes good practices of music engraving and I compared
>> the rules mentioned there with the LilyPond output. Most of the rules
>> are covered by LilyPond automatically. I could send a summary of the
>> rules, a LilyPond user still has to care about, if anyone is interested.
>
> I would appreciate it, cannot read German.

Better late than never: Here it is. It consists of only a few point and
is intended for people knowing basic notation practice and it does not
cover things that are done by LilyPond by default.

Here on the list are people with much more knowledge and skills in music
notation, but I hope it is correct and helpful for some users. For sure
it does not replace good literature.

Cheers,
Joram

Rests:
- Rests must be put according to the metre/base moment: 3/4 a4 r r
- no dotted rests longer than the base moment
- use full measure rests for full measures

Beams:
- make the metre visible and use subdivisions (not within triplets)
  \set baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1 16)
  \set subdivideBeams = ##t

Triplets:
- use the new truplet function (once available the version you use)

Accidentals:
- use modern style usually and piano style for piano
- no extra naturals necessary:
  \set Staff.extraNatural = ##f

Text:
- rit. etc. above the staff (in general, not in piano music)
- dynamics below (in general, not with Lyrics)