Transposing instruments

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Transposing instruments
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 23:10:57 -0800

I used to think I was smart :-\

I'm arranging some church hymns for six-part instruments, Flute, 2 Violins, 2 F Horns, 1 cello.

Hymn is in F major. Arrangement is notated in LP in F major. How do I get the Horn parts correctly engraved in the proper key? I have tried

\transpose f c'

and

\transpose bf f'

and

\transpose c f

and various other combinations. Reading the manual it looks like it should be

\transpose bf f'

But no matter what I select the midi output is horribly wrong. The midi output is only correct if I comment out the \transpose directive. The midi output clearly changes when I use the \transpose directive, so it seems as if midi is being altered by using \transpose. Unfortunately it's being altered incorrectly.

Thanks,

Guy

--
"There is only love, and then oblivion. Love is all we have
to set against hatred." (paraphrased) Ian McEwan

Guy Stalnaker