Re: Help beautify my fingering chart

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Help beautify my fingering chart
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:37:48 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Hogg
To: address@hidden
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 3:17 AM
Subject: Help beautify my fingering chart

I'm working on a saxophone fingering chart, but I have
some problems:

1) If trying to place an accidental next to a note
(B\flat, C\sharp, etc.) my only two (apparent) options
are to include it in a column, in which case the
accidental appears below the letter, or I have to
leave the note name beside the finger diagram.  As a
result I've notated as A-flat, etc.

As in my example below, use concat { } to make the letter and accidental into a single string.

2) If a note has an alternative fingering I'm trying
to make both fingerings appear above the measure with
the corresponding note.  If using the previously
mentioned column, the diagrams are stacked.  If not,
they're squished too close together.

Try concat here, too?

3) If two notes have the same fingering (C#/Db, F#/Gb,
etc.), I can't make the notes appear together (e.g.
two notes on the same stem)

Write them as a chord

4) Is there any way to center everything (note, name,
diagram) within each measure?

I expect someone else will suggest something here.

I have attached my code below.  Thank you in advance
for your help.

It would have been easier if you'd only included the diagrams you were dissatified with....

Here's some code showing 1) and 3) fixed, I think,

\version "2.16.0"
\header{
title = "Saxophone Fingering Chart"
}
\layout {
indent = 0.0\cm
}
\relative c'' {
\textLengthOn
\set Score.timing = ##f
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
<cis des>1
^\markup {
\center-column {
\concat { C \sharp } \concat { D \flat }
" "
\woodwind-diagram
#'saxophone
#'((lh . (cis))