Re: Questions on re-organizing the woodwind (bass-)clarinet stencils

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Questions on re-organizing the woodwind (bass-)clarinet stencils
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 13:38:34 +0100

On 5 Feb 2013, at 12:47 , Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:

On 02/05/2013 07:46 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Disagree.  The default conversation language of LilyPond (all its
command and function names) is English, the default note language is
dutch.  side-ees is perfectly consistent with LilyPond's defaults.

The problem is not so much the use of Dutch as the fact that the names don't change depending on what language you're using.

If you've \include'd english.ly then the instinctive thing would be to suppose that the diagram key names would reflect that choice.
Exactly what I thought, that would suit everybody. But implementing this is yet another thing, I'm not sure if I'll get that done properly.

That would involve a double layer in translating what the user specifies, currently the names are used as such in procedures as are the texts directly generated (ok, these translated to notes). Changing this result in something like: (user) side-eff --> translate (according to a language table) --> (internal) side-xxx or similar. And it should be something which is easy to update including all the variations (one, oneR, on1q), and what should we name the first hole to start with? ("one", "een", "highest", etc).

I've put it on my wishlist for if I see a possibility on-the-fly, but my current challenge is already challenging :-)

As for the mainstream of users: it is marvellous all these languages are supported natively for all notes to enter. Building a rather specialized diagram is only for a very small fraction. So I'll go for having the diagram right based on the Dutch (default) notenames first.

Regards,
Wim.