Streamlining my thoughts on the clarinet woodwind-diagrams

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Streamlining my thoughts on the clarinet woodwind-diagrams
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 14:26:45 +0100

Hi Joseph, Mike,

I've looked into different brand/models (as far as my friends and knowledge reaches) and had my thoughts on it (so it is may be not exhausting enough!). Meanwhile I also studied the underlying code (which is both daunting and haunting) and I see the following model(s) schematically, starting with the (generic) stencil for the basic clarinet(-boehm) family:

clarinet-family --> clarinet (what we have now, but without the "hole")

    - clarinet --> clarinet-with-left-low-gis (obviously adds the left-hand low-gis key)

        - clarinet-with-left-low-gis --> bass-clarinet (adds the "hole" and right low-ees)

            - bass-clarinet --> low-bass-clarinet (adds left low-d, right low-d, left low-d, thumb low-c and thumb low-cis)

                - low-bass-clarinet --> low-bass-clarinet-BC-Prestige (adds thumb low-d)

                - low-bass-clarinet --> low-bass-clarinet-S-Privilege (adds thumb low-ees)

The "clarinet-with-low-gis", "bass-clarinet" and "low-bass-clarinet" will then be "intermediate" stencils, but otherwise complete and callable from the outside, which is fine for example for writing down a specific thing in the high registers or a special effect in a general fashion. The generic stencil for the bass-clarinet" will suit the Buffet Crampon and Selmer current top-models to low-ees and will do for specific notations in the high register for all of them. All the key variations are in the low range as far as I know.

More variations can be done, e.g. one could add: "clarinet-with-left-low-gis --> clarinet-BC-Tosca" specifying the special F correction key for the right little finger. etc. If really needed it should be possible to insert an older or newer system also. The problem is that all thereally usable variations are typically brand/model variations, I'm struggling with the naming of it.

I avoided using the full brand names, instead included just one/two letters (which is also shorter:-) and the model. I never encountered a brand name in the Lilypond documentation, probably there will be some general consensus on how to handle this, but I couldn't find it. I could take the brand abbreviations out of it, but that still shows the model (which is a brand name also i.m.h.o.).

Could someone shed a light on this for me?

Regards,
Wim.