Re: Streamlining my thoughts on the clarinet woodwind-diagrams

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Streamlining my thoughts on the clarinet woodwind-diagrams
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 18:46:48 +0100

On 02/07/2013 02:26 PM, Wim van Dommelen wrote:
clarinet-family --> clarinet (what we have now, but without the "hole")

"hole" .... ?  I guess you mean the extra touchpiece on the LH 1st finger?

Ideally you'd like to have some backwards compatibility, so I suggest keeping "clarinet" for the base stencil.

     - clarinet --> clarinet-with-left-low-gis (obviously adds the left-hand
low-gis key)

Call it clarinet-lh-gis.

         - clarinet-with-left-low-gis --> bass-clarinet (adds the "hole" and
right low-ees)

I'd use clarinet-full-boehm as the name for the clarinet with low ees, and make bass-clarinet an alias for that (or else, bass-clarinet is the full-boehm instrument plus the "hole").

             - bass-clarinet --> low-bass-clarinet (adds left low-d, right
low-d, left low-d, thumb low-c and thumb low-cis)

I'd call it bass-clarinet-low-c.

                 - low-bass-clarinet --> low-bass-clarinet-BC-Prestige (adds
thumb low-d)

                 - low-bass-clarinet --> low-bass-clarinet-S-Privilege (adds
thumb low-ees)

I wouldn't bother with the "low" here. :-)

The "clarinet-with-low-gis", "bass-clarinet" and "low-bass-clarinet" will then
be "intermediate" stencils, but otherwise complete and callable from the
outside, which is fine for example for writing down a specific thing in the high
registers or a special effect in a general fashion. The generic stencil for the
bass-clarinet" will suit the Buffet Crampon and Selmer current top-models to
low-ees and will do for specific notations in the high register for all of them.
All the key variations are in the low range as far as I know.

Question: how do you translate the bass clarinet diagrams into key-name
diagrams?

More variations can be done, e.g. one could add: "clarinet-with-left-low-gis -->
clarinet-BC-Tosca" specifying the special F correction key for the right little
finger. etc.

Yes, but that seems to be taking it a little far. It's difficult to imagine a situation where a composer would want to specify such a key, because its existence and practical effect cannot be relied upon.

If really needed it should be possible to insert an older or newer
system also. The problem is that all the really usable variations are typically
brand/model variations, I'm struggling with the naming of it.

This may be handled better by documentation describing how to create your own custom diagram, rather than trying to support many.