giving MetronomeMarks the space they need

From: Keith OHara
Subject: giving MetronomeMarks the space they need
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 04:50:05 +0000 (UTC)

Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan <at> sympatico.ca> writes:

> Almost certainly my #1 frustration with Lily right now is the fact that
> MetronomeMark collisions resolve so poorly.
>
> Why is it so difficult to get them to push remaining MMs to the right
> (stretching the music underneath to accomodate, if necessary)?

By default, MetronomeMarks have settings requesting specifically that
LilyPond ignore them when spacing notes and rests, analogous to \textLengthOff

I use the two overrides below.  There are still irregularities, because
of the way MetronomeMarks are sometimes part of a note-column, sometimes
part of the column holding bar-lines or time-signatures, but it gives a
better starting point.

\relative f {
  \override Score.MetronomeMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . -3)
  \override Score.MetronomeMark #'non-break-align-symbols =
     #'( note-column-interface   multi-measure-rest-interface)
  \compressFullBarRests
  \tempo "Larghissimo" R1*8
  \tempo "PiĆ¹ mosso" R1*8
  \tempo "Meno mosso" c''4 e g c