Re: Repeat signs / bar lines in markup

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Repeat signs / bar lines in markup
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 08:53:18 +0100

Eluze <address@hidden> writes:

> the big difference is that you can scale it in the \markup where you use it,
> e.g.
> \markup {
>   \fontsize #14 \bar-line #".|:"
>   \fontsize #-4 \bar-line #".|:"
> }
> will render two differently sized start repeat signs, whereas there is no
> effect in the \markup \score { … } generated markup.

But that's something that we should likely strive to cure.  Maybe
\markup \score ... should be using a layout definition taking into
account current sizes and/or settings?

I am not saying that independent bar line code will not be independently
useful (and \markup \score is rather expensive), but it is likely that
there is some leeway for improving the semantics (if not the
performance) of \markup \score as well.

--
David Kastrup