Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:47:43 +0100 (CET)

> What can I do to improve the formatting?  Note that globally
> increasing the distance between the staves is not a possible
> solution since this would ruin the layout of the whole piece.

After some thinking, I would like to change the `padding' for beams so
that the skyline's distance from the beam gets enlarged.

I tried

  \once \override Beam.skyline-horizontal-padding = #50

and surprisingly it does what I want in my score.  Unfortunately, I
don't understand why, and in the example I've sent to the list it has
no effect.  What is the number good for?  And especially, what
dimension?

    Werner