Re: A must-see for anybody on this list

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A must-see for anybody on this list
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:50:05 +0100

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> On 02/12/2013 01:24 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> we have a snippet
>> Documentation/snippets/transposing-pitches-with-minimum-accidentals-smart-transpose.ly
>
> The problem with this snippet is that it's conceived as a function
> that "wraps" a given piece of music.

Just like \transposition, it transforms music.

> But as I recall, if you put a transposition function _outside_ the
> call to naturalize-music, that transposition will not benefit from the
> naturalization rules.

Sure.

> What you actually want to see in a given passage is something like,
>
> {
>   \set Staff.transposition = #'chromatic
>   c'4 bf' gs' e'    % any transposition applied to this passage
>                     % will be chromatic
>   \set Staff.transposition = #'tonal
>   c' d' e' f'       % whereas this will be treated tonally
> }

That does not make all that much sense: transposition works at a time
when contexts are not live or active, so context properties are not
useful generally.  They _could_ be used for manipulating the manner in
which _quoted_ music is getting transposed: this happens on-the-fly
during context interpretation.

--
David Kastrup