Re: giving MetronomeMarks the space they need

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: giving MetronomeMarks the space they need
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:40:27 -0800

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 05:23:08 -0800, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

By default, MetronomeMarks have settings requesting specifically that
LilyPond ignore them when spacing notes and rests, analogous to \textLengthOff

I use the two overrides below.
There are still irregularities

Can these things be easily regularized?

There seems to be a complicated historical reason for the irregularities. Some
special-case behavior around full-measure rests was added with the fix to the issue
<http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=684> -- the same fix that
gave us options on what tempo marks attach to, including the ability to put tempo
marks properly over the time-signature.

But, we can set the options to ignore full-measure rests, and avoid the
irregularities.  I am now very satisfied with the four overrides below:

\version "2.17.4"
% The first two measures is better after the fix for issue 1700, version >2.17.4
\paper {ragged-right = ##t indent = 0 }
\relative f { \compressFullBarRests
  \key b\major \tempo "Larghissimo" 4=30 gis'4( dis' gis dis')
  \tempo "Più mosso" R1*2
  \bar "||" \key b\major
  \tempo "Molto adagio" R1*8
  \tempo "Meno" dis,4( fis ais dis')\break
  \tempo "Più mosso" R1*2
  \tempo "Meno mosso" R1
  \tempo "Più mosso" b,,2 dis
  \bar "||" \key bes\major
  \tempo "Molto Adagio" R1
  \tempo "Presto" d4 f f' d'\break
  \bar "||" \time 3/4 \key e\major
  \tempo "Meno mosso" R2.
  \bar "||" \key g\minor
  \tempo "Larghissimo" g,,4 bes d g2.\bar "|."
}

\layout { \context { \Score
  \override MetronomeMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(-1 . 0.5)
  \override MetronomeMark #'Y-offset = #5
  \override MetronomeMark #'break-align-symbols =
   #'(time-signature key-signature) % omit key-signature to obey the textbooks
  \override MetronomeMark #'non-break-align-symbols =
   #'(paper-column-interface)
} }