Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:06:45 +0100 (CET)

>  \override Beam.Y-extent = #'(0 . 10)
>  \override Beam.vertical-skylines =
>              #ly:grob::simple-vertical-skylines-from-extents

Nice!  And completely undocumented, of course...

What I want is something similar: Instead of having a rectangular
skyline, I want some `padding' (bad word here, I know): If a beam
looks like this

      /|
     /||
    /||x

I want to have the top skyline like this:

      /
     /
    / /|
     /||
    /||x

Maybe

  \override Beam.skyline-offsets = #'(0 . 10)
  \override Beam.vertical-skylines =
              #ly:grob::shift-vertical-skylines-by-offset

Especially for beams with a large slope this might be a better
approach and usable for many other grobs also, I believe.

    Werner

PS: Even after looking at lilypond output compiled with

      -ddebug-skylines='#t'

    I don't understand what

      \override Beam.skyline-horizontal-padding = #50

    actually does.  Can you please explain?