Re: Add tempo spanners

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Add tempo spanners
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:54:12 +0100

On 13 February 2013 01:43, Colin Hall <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the report, Xavier, but I think we already have this feature
> in Lilypond, don't we? See:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/writing-text#text-spanners
>
> which documents syntax such as:
>
> \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "rit."
> b1\startTextSpan
> e,\stopTextSpan

Hi Colin,

Yes we already have text spanners but they can interact only with other
text spanners, IIRC.

It is not clear what this feature would do precisely (and this certainly
deserves a discussion with both users and developers, that's why I cc:
both discussion lists).

But personaly I would like "tempo spanners" to be able to interact with
tempo indications (MetronomeMark) in the same idea DynamicTextSpanner
interact with DynamicText.
So a \tempo command would end a "tempo spanner".

On 13 February 2013 01:49, Jay Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:

> If I'm understanding the request correctly this functionality isn't
> currently available. Text spanners live in the staff.
> TempoTextSpanners would live in the score and be set like current
> tempo marks (bold and above the system). I've often wanted this
> feature as well.

Actually I would prefer non-bold but maybe italic (and 'dashed-line style)
as default setting (see for example "rit.", "rall.", "accel."),
but AFAICS some publishers print them upright, others italic.
As usual, people could change these properties to what they want.

On 13 February 2013 02:43, Colin Hall <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks, Jay, that makes it much clearer. Just need some proposed syntax
> now.

Well, something like current syntax for TextSpanner would be OK I guess.

But as far as I'm concerned I will certainly use a postfix syntax
that does not need \set or \override to define the text before the note
(like in the code of snippets "Dynamics text spanner postfix" and
"Dynamics custom text spanner postfix" for DynamicTextSpanner in
NR 1.8.1).

Cheers,
Xavier

--