Re: A must-see for anybody on this list

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: A must-see for anybody on this list
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:58:21 +0100

Am 14.02.2013 17:50, schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling:
On 02/14/2013 05:32 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
Maybe I'll get in touch with you before. I already intended to present the outline of the presentation here and ask for feedback - I think it's an issue
that concerns many of us ...
(The presentation is due at the end of April, so it will be some time still).

That'd be great. There's a paper I'm working on right now (not oriented towards music) which I'll try and share with you when it's done -- might be useful despite its different orientation.
OK, I'm looking forward to that.

From the discussion on this list I assume that there are two very different 'stages' to this. One is the raw musical content, which seems to be quite easily converted (I think something like an XSLT-like transformation of LilyPond's
music stream).
If one wants to also export LilyPond's layout qualities it would be much more intricate because at the time LilyPond makes its layout decisions that music
stream isn't available anymore.

What I was thinking of was e.g. how well the conversion process would preserve articulations, ornaments, etc. Some layout aspects here have "raw musical content" value, e.g. think of a turn that is placed on the second half of a note.
Oh sorry, I forgot to write that I didn't answer your real question. Honestly I don't know how perfect such an automatic process could get. Obviously one _has_ to expect manual work after the conversion. But I think that at least things like the relations like articulations and the note they are attached to can be realized quite well.

Preparing a "manuscript" with LilyPond isn't the way to go because nowadays many (most) publishers won't pay engraving staff when they also can get editors doing that work for free. (This actually is the reason I didn't get a contract for
editing a few works for UE).

True with composers too, I think. I remember about 14 years back a friend told me that his publisher had got in touch with him and said, "OK, we're going to buy you a copy of Finale. The quid pro quo is that now you do all your own score preparation."
I know quite a few composers who wouldn't actually want anybody else to "mess" with their scores. And I know composers who deliberately stick to writing by hand (and can do so because their handwriting looks like printed). But of course it _is_ sad that composers (as well as editors) have to take an even larger share of the production costs. I know that even a famous composer like Aribert Reimann has to pay the preparation of the performance material for his operas himself by now :-(

Then again, when you go to many 20th-century works, the score is often just a facsimile of the composer's fair copy.
Practical, isn't it (for the publisher)?
But OTOH I have played several pieces from the original manuscripts and was regularely disappointed to see the printed scores later because they lack so much "expression".