Re: Temporarily removing bracket from staff groups

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Temporarily removing bracket from staff groups
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:29:46 +0100

2013/2/15 ryanmichaelmcclure <address@hidden>:
> I am working on a composition for my music theory professor. He wants a
> particular layout for the work. Here is what I have thus far:
>
> http://pastebin.com/UXv30Ux2
>
> I want to know if it is possible to remove the bracket between the third and
> fourth staffs, the blank ones? I tried setting 3 different staff groups, but
> that didn't work. (See
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Removing-the-line-before-a-staff-begins-td140792.html)
>
> Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi,

after several tries to find an answer, I noticed that
SystemStartBracket, -Brace, -Square do have a 'style-property and one
possible setting is 'bar-line.
Though, apart from mentioning it in the IR, it isn't documented.

Together with some additional settings of
systemStartDelimiterHierarchy I come up with:

\version "2.16.1"

nullify =
\with {
        \override TimeSignature #'stencil = #point-stencil
        \override Clef #'stencil = #point-stencil
        \override BarLine #'stencil = #point-stencil
        \override SpanBar #'stencil = #point-stencil
}

I = \relative c'' \repeat unfold 2 { \voiceOne c1 \break }
II = \relative c' \repeat unfold 2 { \voiceTwo e1 \break }
III = \relative c' \repeat unfold 2 { \voiceOne g1 \break }
IV = \relative c \repeat unfold 2 { \voiceTwo c1 \break }

emptyStaff = \new Staff \nullify \repeat unfold 2 { s1 }

music =
<<
  \new StaffGroup
  <<
    \new Staff \I
    \new Staff \II

  \new StaffGroup
  <<
    \new Staff \III
    \new Staff { \clef bass \IV }

  \emptyStaff
  \emptyStaff

\score {
        \music
        \layout {
                \context {
                        \StaffGroup
                        systemStartDelimiterHierarchy =
                          #'(SystemStartBrace (SystemStartBracket a b))
                }
                \context {
                        \Score
                        \override SystemStartBrace #'style = #'bar-line
                        \override SystemStartBar #'stencil = ##f
                        \override SystemStartBrace #'padding = #-0.1
                        \override SystemStartBrace #'thickness = #1.6

All settings/overrides are _predefined_ procedures and will work in
any tested version (even in 2.12.3 after removing the storage of a
\with-expression in a variable) up to latest devel-versions.

There were some similiar requests in the past, perhaps I should write
a LSR-snippet or is it worth to be included in the source-docs?

HTH,
  Harm