Horns example from blog

From: Jim Long
Subject: Horns example from blog
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:41:27 -0800

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 04:35:01PM -0800, address@hidden wrote:

> Then we could engrave that page in lilypond and post a link back
> to the list saying "That page took me x minutes with Lilypond.
> Here's the PDF showing how it looks, whaddya think?"

I don't do any ensemble scoring to speak of, but I used to play
french horn, so I decided to take a crack at one wishlist example
from the blog, the ability to:

1) label a staffgroup with a centered instrument name, instead of
only being able to label each separate staff of the group;

2) splitting out separate instrument parts whilst also being able
to flexibly combine parts on the conductor's score.

Very old hat for most of the veterans on here, to be sure.

My meager attempt is attached, with only one non-default bit of
formatting.

I wasn't sure, but I sort of remembered that horn scores are
usually grouped 1st and 3rd, 2nd and 4th.  Apologies if I have
mis-numbered the individual parts.

I will say that the merging of noteheads onto stems is probably
the weak spot in my knowledge.  The lower staff happened by
chance, because all the stems naturally go up.  The upper staff
required setting both voices to 'voiceOne' to make the stems line
up, and that probably wouldn't be the best solution in a larger
example.  Is there a better way to merge noteheads when possible,
while keeping reasonable voiceOne / voiceTwo stems when not
possible?

The piece also generates several warnings about clashing note
columns.  And I realized that when I put several scores on the
same page, I don't know how to put a page break between scores.

But it does show separate and combined parts with no redundant
specification of the music.  If you change one note, that change
takes effect in every system on the page.

For extra credit, I transposed it for trombones, and offered a
1st trombone part in tenor clef if that's easier than reading
lots of ledger lines.