Re: Help for a new lilypond user

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Help for a new lilypond user
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 17:29:55 +0100

Hi Alex,

please see my comments inline and an example at the end of this mail.

> - Staff with two bars; treble cleff;
For guitar it is usually a transposed treble clef (but you can remove
the _8 in the example)

> - Tablature for the staff with editable fret marks.
I used a predefined one, but you can write your own like explained here:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-fretted-strings#fret-diagram-markups

In short: \fret-diagram #"6-x;5-x;4-o;3-2;2-3;1-1;"
3-2 means string 3, fret 2 and so on

In general, you won't find much help with that attitude:
> because I don't have the time to learn this by myself using the manual
The LilyPond manuals are helpful and you don't have to read everything
to get started. For guitar music, this whole section is helpful, though:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-fretted-strings

> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n141323/36.png>

Here is an example to reproduce roughly the picture, you sent around.

\version "2.16.0"

chord = \chordmode {
  s1 c:maj
}

notes = \relative c' {
  c4\4 e\3 g\2 b\1 |  % c4\4 means pitch = c, duration = 4, string = 4
  <c,\4 e\3 g\2 b\1>1
}

  <<
    \new FretBoards \chord
    \new Staff {
      \override StringNumber #'stencil = ##f  % no string numbers here
      \clef "treble_8"
      \notes
    }
    \new TabStaff \notes