Re: Is there an easy solution to across voice slurs

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Is there an easy solution to across voice slurs
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:08:44 +0100

Am 25.02.2013 07:37, schrieb Derek:
Hi there,

I was just wondering if there are any options for doing cross voice slurs
like in this silly example
The usual way to accomplish what you are looking for is adding a hidden voice (where everything is hidden except the slur/tie/phrasingSlur).
I think there has been a thread on this recently.
But I think you are right that LIlyPond could support this (quite regular) notation issue somewhat better.

Sorry, don't have the time right now to help you more detailed than with this hint.

Hope it helps anyway
Urs

\version "2.16.2"

global = {
   \key c \major
   \time 4/4
}

violin = \relative c'' {
   \global
   % Music follows here.
   <<{c2 \(e}\\{c,4 d e f}>>
c'2\) d4 c

}

\score {
   \new Staff \with {
     instrumentName = "Violin"
     midiInstrument = "violin"
   } \violin
   \layout { }
   \midi {
     \context {
       \Score
       tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 100 4)

Where in order to make the slur work I don't have to add another voice
<<{}\\{}>>? This seems a bit strange to me as there are tons of these types
of slurs, at least in the types of music I am looking at. The stems always
need to be rearranged and the rest, if there are any, always end up floating
up or down where they aren't wanted. It seems one has to go through a lot of
hoops just to add a slur. Maybe I am making an issue where there isn't one
but if anyone can shed any light on how to make the slur in the example
above work that would be fantastic
thank you.