Re: Hushing up Sibelius news?

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: Hushing up Sibelius news?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:25:10 +0000

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Hilary Snaden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2013-02-21 19:58, Urs Liska wrote:
>>
>> http://blog.steinberg.net/2013/02/welcome/
>

> These from Daniel Spreadbury tell me most, I think, of what I need to know
> about the new project.
>
> "Our application will use a proprietary file format... an open source file
> format is only any use if you also have a wide range of software that can
> make use of that format... the Lilypond file format itself does not describe
> exactly how the finished score will appear..."
>
> Thanks, but no thanks.

I just blogged about this:

http://blog.adamspiers.org/2013/02/25/music-industry-learns-nothing-from-the-avid-sibelius-saga/

Like it or not (and I certainly don't), a large proportion of people
who need to notate music will run away screaming if you explain the
compilation-based design of LilyPond to them.  I think

  http://lilypond.org/text-input.html

is absolutely fantastic, but some people's aversion to anything which
looks at all technical seems unsurmountable to me (although I'd love
to be proven wrong; after all, I still see "non-technical" airport
staff happily typing cryptic commands into old-school terminals in
order to query flight data ...)

So anything we can do as a community to address that part of the
user-base is very good in my book ...