Re: Glyph for longer MultiMeasureRest

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Glyph for longer MultiMeasureRest
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:31:18 +0100 (CET)

>> Rests equal or longer than breves use a breve rest, and this is the
>> second of your examples.  Gould agrees with this.  The longer rests
>> appear to be longa rests - Gould does not mention them but it seems
>> appropriate to me.
>
> So, LilyPond's default seems to be correct.

I disagree.  IMHO, LilyPond is plain wrong.  If there is a number
above the rest, it certainly does *not* indicate the number of counts
but the number of bars.  In other words, even if you have, say, \time
18/4, a two-bar rest should be realized with the breve rest symbol and
the number `2' above it.

A similar situation arises if you are using 4/4-rests within 2/4 music
to indicate whole rests.

Please file a bug report.

    Werner